Frequently Asked Questions

Surveying FAQ in Guilford CountyWhen is a survey usually required?

Before title to land is conveyed, it is desirable to have an adequate description of the property for the deed, including an accurate determination of the acreage.  It is also important to know if there are any physical features or title overlaps which might constitute encroachments or, in some other way adversely affect the title to the land.  Only an up-to-date survey, by a Professional Land Surveyor, can give you this information.

Most NC cities and counties have subdivision ordinance procedures which must be followed.  For any subdivision, the Professional Land Surveyor can work with you to prepare the required maps.  This may be a simple procedure, but may, depending on the situation, involve: a boundary survey, a topographical survey, site analysis, road and lot layout, road grade design, and the calculations for the necessary erosion control features.  The Professional Land Surveyor can also prepare, for review, the subdivision plat for recording, the road plan & profile maps, and the erosion control plans.

I just want to put up a fence on my property, do I need a survey?

Before land is improved by constructing drives, fences, walls or buildings, it is desirable to know the location of the property corners and boundaries.  Using the services of a Professional Land Surveyor, for staking and grading the locations of the improvements, avoids encroachments upon adjoining property and possible litigation at a later date.  It also insures the improvements will be constructed according to the design plans.

My grandfather is going to leave me some land in his will, do I need a survey?

Before land is partitioned by will or by court Order, a survey of the land is needed. In the case of a will, the boundary of the property as well as the improvements, such as buildings, roads and drives, on the property need to be located.  When the land is divided, the heirs can easily decide on the location of the new dividing lines.  Also, before the Court can establish a disputed boundary line, it needs an accurate survey of the land. The Professional Land Surveyor can provide the necessary maps.

My angry neighbor is saying that my son’s basketball goal is on his property, what can I do?

When a question arises as to the location of a boundary line between you and your neighbor, the first thing you need to do is get an accurate boundary survey.  When the survey is completed, the Professional Land Surveyor can explain the location of the boundary line.  In some cases, the surveyor can help solve the problem between you and your neighbor; at other times, the surveyor will appear in court as an expert witness on your behalf.

I need an exact price for a survey. What does an estimate include?

The Professional Land Surveyor’s fee will include the time to search for deeds or court records, locate the physical boundary evidence of the property, make the necessary computations to check the boundary, place appropriate markers on the property, and prepare the survey map.

The cost of the survey will vary because of missing corner evidence, disputed boundary lines, rough terrain, heavy underbrush, poor land descriptions in the deeds, and travel time to and from the property.

Because of these varying conditions, it is difficult for the Professional Land Surveyor to predict an exact cost.

Remember, many times, the “cheapest” survey has cost the most in additional surveying and legal fees.

How long will it take to complete my survey?

Weather conditions and the number of jobs pending will affect when your survey can be completed.  This time can vary from days to months.